Friday 17 February 2017

Chapter 10



CHAPTER 10
Just as Jesus is not often portrayed in anger, we are not used to him sharing a joke, either.  Yet there are glimpses of humour in metaphors and puns we may not detect because of a language barrier and centuries of cultural differences.
John Bell suggests one reason might be that laughter is fleeting and spontaneous.  It depends on context and common experience.  We tend to think of the stories of Jesus as eternal and timeless, and have difficulty appreciating that we may have lost this aspect forever.
However, Bell does end on a note of timeless wisdom:  Did Jesus come so that we should have cynicism and deep despair? No, but that God’s joy might be complete in us. In what ways can we use humour to fulfil the joy God intends?

image:  William Wheatley, United Church of Canada, 1973

1 comment:

  1. I find that it’s good to laugh at ourselves. I often write funny articles about my experiences baking. A long time ago I had no sense of humour; I didn’t laugh. But now I know how important a light hearted guffaw is to my being me. And people who read these strange stories on Facebook tell me how it lightens their load too at a time when world politics are downright scary. It is the humanity of each other that we can enjoy. I think that as we share our vulnerability, others open up and share their equally funny times. I also have a deep seriousness about my faith, though. I would not have remembered to laugh had God not touched me along the way by giving me many relationships, books, communities and relatives who showed me the possibilities. God intends us to be joyful. It is one of God’s gifts to us…and I’m all for asking for and receiving God’s gifts!

    ReplyDelete